Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

last month I have been taking an OTC herbal mix called Zi Xiu Tang

My doctor put me on Lisinopril 10 mg today. For a little over the last month I have been taking an OTC herbal mix called Zi Xiu Tang for a number of reasons, but the most prevalent is weight loss. It has been working wonderfully. I have lost 10 pounds and a total of 6 inches in about 6 weeks. I was wondering if this herbal mix would interact badly with the Lisinopril. The ingredients in the herbal are: Wolfberry Fruit, Barberry, Lotus Seed, Dietary Fiber, Astragalus, Polygonum Multiflorum, Lotus Leaf, Gynostemma, Radish, Green Tea, Rhubarb and Aloe.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Pauline :

Unfortunately since herbal products are not regulated in the same way as medication then we do not have reference material for an absolute list of interactions. If you have noticed that your blood pressure has gone up since taking the herbal remedy then I would suggest that you stop straight away.

Pauline :

We do not have any information on the safety of this medication, but we do know that some chinese medication can damage the liver.

Pauline :

I would suggest that you now change to a low calorie diet and exercise program to continue your weight loss. The exercise will also have a positive impact on your blood pressure over time too.