How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Schuyler, NP Your Own Question
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 16165
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
Type Your Health Question Here...
A. Schuyler, NP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandaughter had ADHD and ODD as a child. She still has

Resolved Question:

My grandaughter had ADHD and ODD as a child. She still has the symptoms at age 25 and it affects her life negatively as well as her children, friends and family. Her doctor said she needs to be tested before medication can be prescribed but the place they sent her said they could not help. How can she/we get help?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.


Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. She can contact any psychiatrist or her local mental health clinic for testing to make sure she still has ADHD and/or ODD. Many adults still do continue to have problems all their lives.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If she doesn't agree to be tested is there a way to force the issue?
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Unless she is a danger to herself or others and her rights have been assigned to a guardian, she is presumed to be able to make her own decisions. The whole family can try to persuade her (some call it an "intervention") but unless you are willing to start legal proceedings, there is no other way to force her to get help if she doesn't want to.


A. Schuyler, NP and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you