A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

For the past two weeks, Ive had some discomfort in my mouth.

For the past two weeks, I've had some discomfort in my mouth. Most commonly I'm experiencing over-salivation, bad breath and a general icky feeling in my mouth. The saliva feels foamy rather than just wet. Also, with the aid of a flashlight, I sometimes wake up with white globs spread across my tonsils. These are tough to remove with a toothbrush, but seem to go away as I eat and drink throughout the day. I see different globs around my uvula, which are rather easily brushed off and have no smell (like bacteria would). I have to admit, that since this has started I've been over-brushing, using mouthwash more and roughly brushing my tongue. This has made my tongue feel a bit rough and dry and with a slight burning sensation at times, which may be contributing to the whole problem. If it is a problem that requires medical attention, I'd be interested to know if I should see an ENT, a GP or my dentist. Thanks in advance! This is incredibly frustrating.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. There is no way to tell what is going on in your throat until you see your GP. S/he can take a culture to determine if it is an infection or not. In the meanwhile, you should ease off the excessive oral hygiene since it is affecting your mouth in a negative way.