Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I am having more and more mucus in my throat, I did hear that

I am having more and more mucus in my throat, I did hear that they can put a balloon apparatus in my throat to open up the stomach and upper bowel, hope you can confirm this. I am gettine anxious. Thanks for your assistance.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Were you given any diagnosis for this condition like narrowing of the food pipe (stricture of food pipe) or pyloric stenosis?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

as I pointed out at the beginning, i am recovring from esophogial cancer and had it removed. As as you know my stomach was pulled up to form a passage way. This was 3 years ago and they did not have to give me any chimo or radiation , as they thought they got it all. Now 3 1/2 yrs later I am having problems. So they want to go down with the light again. My question ---- What can they do ? I don't think I can go through that op again.c an they do balloon etc. The mucous problem goes along with it. I am also having a lot of discomfort on the right upper rib cage. Please fill me in as i am scared.

Hello Sharon,

There can be a stricture (narrowing) at the site of anastomosis (junction of joining stomach and esophagus). A balloon dilatation is the treatment, as you mentioned. It is fairly simple procedure and that opens up the passage and would relieve your symptoms. Your upper rib cage discomfort can be related to this narrowing, so that too would be resolved. Though a chest x-ray may be done to rule out mild pneumonia which can occur due to aspiration of mucus. Please do not worry as this is easily treatable condition and quite commonly seen after this surgery.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist your further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun