A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

noticed the last few days that my urine has an ammonia odor

Hello. I have noticed the last few days that my urine has an ammonia odor. The color tends to be darker than usual. What can I do to reverse it? When should I see my doctor? I am a 30 year old male in good overall health. I am not on any medications.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Urine color and odor are dependent on what someone eats and drinks. An ammonia odor and dark color probably represent concentrated urine from dehydration, and perhaps a high protein diet. Try adding 3-4 extra glasses of water to your regular intake and see if the odor doesn't improve over the next few days. If it doesn't you can see your doctor for a urine test to rule out infection (unlikely since you have no pain) or a blood test to check kidney problem.