Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My urine smells like vomit all the time, not just the morning

My urine smells like vomit all the time, not just the morning but all day. I drink a large smoothie of fruits, vanilla rice milk and two bananas every morning and drink a lot of tea with agave the rest of the day. My diet can consist of bread and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, sushi (whenever I can find it on the way home), occasional chocolate, turkey sandwiches on the average. My morning smoothies are rather large (3 cups of various frozen fruits, two whole bananas, and the rice milk. Sometimes I'll add grounded flax for extra fiber) I cut that out thinking it was causing the vomit smell but it hasn't gone away. I fear the worst since I don't know anyone who experiences this.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Greetings.

Was a urine test done?

Since when is this smell?

Do you eat lot of onion or garlic?

What is the total amount of water and fluids you drink?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No urine test done. The smell has been occuring for many months. I do eat garilc or onions but not daily...once in a while. Total amount of fluids is 64 oz. (32 oz daily smoothie and 32 oz green and black tea, and ocassional water).

Any smell in urine denote infection. See the resource for urinary tract infection symptoms in which strong smelling urine has been mentioned;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/urinary-tract-infection/DS00286/DSECTION=symptoms

So getting a urine test would be prudent. If there is an infection, your physician may send it for the culture and will prescribe you the antibiotics. You can increase your fluid and water intake meanwhile to 85-90 oz. If this helps in eliminating the smell, you can pursue with this. The other causes can be;

1) very concentrated urine; when one drinks less water, sweat a lot, or is dehydrated. Alcohol makes one dehydrated, so if you take any, may decrease the amount.

2) eatables like garlic or other strong odor products can give smell to urine.

3) medications, supplements, herbs.

Read this resource also about urine odor;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/urine-odor/MY00378

If you have a family history of diabetes; getting glucose tolerance test and glycosylated hemoglobin would also be necessary to eliminate the possibility.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would the early onset of diabetes show obvious signs? I don't experience any of the signs listed for this disease and was wondering how my urine problem is associated with this disease.

An early diabetes does not give any symptom and almost always is asymptomatic. In an healthy individual, if urinary tract infection is suspected; we want to rule out diabetes, which can be a predisposing factor for UTI. This is just for ruling out as one out of ten individuals may have asymptomatic diabetes.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help...I will get tested as soon as possible. I have no major health problems but my dad does. My father has diabetes (not sure which type) and high blood pressure, very overweight which all concern me. I am 5'3" at around 145 lbs., medium boned, and have a faily active life-style. I am an Elementary school teacher and I use the treadmill every other day.

I really hope I do not develop the same problems as my father. I try to keep active and watch what I eat, especially at my age.

You are very welcome.

With your normal weight and good fitness, diabetes would be unlikely, but no harm in getting tested. A urine test and culture should point to the cause of smell.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine