Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

what is trichomoniasis and can I buy an otc medication for

what is trichomoniasis and can I buy an otc medication for it
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Trichomoniasis is a very common sexually transmitted infection which is also very easy to cure. Often women have no symptoms of this infection and the bug is only picked up during routine pap smears but at that point, it is important to get treated.

This infection can only be treated with a prescription medication called Flagyl (Metronidazole) and, unfortunately, there is nothing over-the-counter which will help you. Also, it is extremely important that your bed partner also gets treated since it is sexually transmitted and you can continue to pass the infection to each other back and forth.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia