Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),30yrs experience in practice

i have some questions about Molluscum Contagiosum if it can

Customer Question

i have some questions about Molluscum Contagiosum: if it can be transmitted via gym towels, equipment, can it also be transmitted via toilet seat? how long does the virus live on these surfaces?
how long does the virus live on the skin if via skin to skin contact?
what is the incubation period?

since it can be transmitted via towels, i assume any clothing that came in contact should be washed?
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,
Welcome to Just Answer.MOlluscum Contagiosum (MC)is a pox virus that can be spread by skin to skin contact,by use of towels with fomites,bath sponges abd autoinnoculation.The incubation period has not been verified,but may be about two weeks to six months.It is not transmitted by toilet seats.Towels should not be shared,they should preferably be laundered before reuse.People with reduced immunity due to any cause are more likely to get this disease.Good personal hygiene will be essential for prevention.

Edited by Vakul Aren on 2/15/2011 at 12:17 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

please clarify autoinnoculation

how long does the virus remain on towels, clothing?

Autoinnoculation means transfer of the infection from one site to another part of the skin by scratching or rubbing of the skin.It would be difficult to say how long fomites of the virus will remain active on the towel as this has not been verified.It would be prudent to launder all suspect towels and clothes having been used once,dry kickboards and apply chemical antiseptics to all surfaces considered exposed to the MC virus.Household bleach,iodophors,and other antiseptics will be effective.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have read that children contract this from toys & doorknobs, therefore, why not toilet seats?
There were studies done and it was found that toilet seats did not figure in the tyransmission of Molluscum virus.I have no idea as to the why,but do know what has been quoted in reports.Most children to children transmission is by skin to skin contact and by fomites.In adults transmission as a sexually tyransmitted disease occurs by direct skin to skin contact.Other methods of spread by by shared towels ,diving boards and bath sponges are thought to be due to fomites.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
why would it be suggested that if contracted by skin to skin contact (via sexual activity) that the infected person be check for other std's?
MC Virus spread is considered a STD.If one STD has been transmitted,other STDs are likely to occur.Once MC has been seen to be transmitted by sexual contact,it would be prudent to rule out or treat any other diseases also transmiited .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
does the virus live on the skin only? can it be washed away? what can you do to prevent re-contamination or once affected are you a carrier of the virus for life?
Spontaneous recovery occurs in most immunocompetent patients over 24-36months.The virus is normally seen in all layers of the skin if there is a active infection.Humans are the only source of infection.The disease may be prolonged in immunocompromised patients.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
spontaneous recovery from active lesions or does recovery mean you are free of the virus?
Yes,it means recovery from disease .
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/762548-followup is a site which will help in better understanding.Resolution in immunocompetent patients is usually complete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if the lesions have been burned off by a dermatologist, when is it safe to resume sexual activity? how does the other party get tested if no lesions present?
The MCV is a skin virus.Serological antibody testing and a Polymerase Chain Reaction testing is available for this virus.Once the skin lesions dissappear,the person is deemed cured.As the disease is benign,it will disappear spontaneously after the skin lesions are cured.Electrolysis may spread the virus in the surrounding area.Your doctor/dermatologist can declare you disease free after examining you and getting you tested.Please accept the answer as I have already answered many queries.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/molluscum/faq/everyone.htm is a site which will give more information.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),30yrs experience in practice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, you have answered many of my questions very kindly. thank you for all the information you have provided, it is very helpful.
You are welcome.