A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

does drinking liquor for two weeks make an etg urine test show

Customer Question

does drinking liquor for two weeks make an etg urine test show positive after 5 days or 130 hours of not drinking before one takes the test. does the etg accumulate over the two week period? or will it have fully left the body after the 130 hours. or will it really be gone in 80 hours.  i am a healthy 28 y/o male, 133 lbs
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. The etg will be below detectable levels in 5 days even if you had been drinking heavily prior to that. While water will increase the dilution, you have to be careful not to drink too much water. They will check specific gravity and creatinine and a too dilute sample is not a good thing either. They will assume you have been drinking and trying to beat the test.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your answer, so your saying that the etg levels do not accumulate over the past two weeks even at drinking 40% etoh. and that 5 days should be suffiecient amount of time to bring about a negative result? would it show up in 80 hours ?

If you have been drinking heavily, it probably will show up in 80 hours. You need the full 5 days for a negative result.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is it possible for it to show up past five days, even at the 100 level. i thought the etg would accumulate over the two week period

It would only show up after 5 days if someone had been soaked in alcohol beyond belief and had a metabolic disorder that slowed alcohol metabolism, or had been using other things that contain alcohol since stopping drinking (alcohol hand sanitizers, mouthwash, spray products). The amount of alcohol ingested is related to the amount of etg detected. Only if metabolic pathways are blocked would you see detectable quantities over 5 days though.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so the etg test only goes off of the last ingestion of etoh, and does not accumulate over the two weeks? and so does the clock start one hour after the last drink? dont worry im going to accept the answer : )

It doesn't technically "accumulate." However, each day's alcohol will still be detectable and adds to the body's burden of etg. Etg should be gone in 5 days after the last drink though unless someone has a metabolic problem or has been using non-drinking alcohol.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do we know what the cut off day is, couldnt it take 6 days, or 5 days and 10 hours
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying 3 €.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So then do the etg levels exponentially decrease as time goes by. such as high levels at 24 hrs, mid levels at 48, .. in other words, the less etg there is in the body, the faster the body metabolizes it, correct?
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
interesting, i liked your term, "soaked"
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.