Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

Ive been having twitching on the left side of my neck now

I've been having twitching on the left side of my neck now for around 6 months or so. When they do happen they do last for a few hours. I notice them more at night then during the daytime hours. about 9 years ago i did have bels palsy while I was pregnant which left my left side of my neck and face not 100% functioning. Infact some instances I feel the nerves were not completely back on the same track. when I wink my left eye I will get a twitch in my left chin and so for. But this neck thing is kinda bothering me. What do you think?

How frequently are you having the symptoms?

When have you consulted doctor last?

Do you take any other medicine?

Did you have any test?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Frequency, sometimes it happens once a week or even twice a week. Sometimes it would last a few minutes to a couple of hours.

I have not consulted a dactor about this and I do not take any medicines. I haven't had any recent tests done or have any other symptoms exept for twitching on my left eyel or the left side of my nose.

Thank you.

Thank you for the information,

There are many causes which can cause twitching of the muscles.

As it is continuing for a long period you should take a consultation with a doctor.

Bell's palsy is unlikely to have this effect in the neck.

However your other symptom when you wink left eye, you get a twitch in left chin can be due to Bell's palsy.

Diseases like ALS, MS, PD or brain tumor, myopathy can cause twitching.

However, twitching of muscles eyelids are often benign

Anxiety & stress can cause it.

You can avoid taking caffeine, avoid anxiety which are common precipitating factors.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One reason why I think possibly it may stem from the bell's palsy is because if I smile a lot or laugh a lot at times my jaw and neck would cramp up in the same place my neck would twitch. But would it be related to any heart conditions at all? I'm not saying I have any, but I didn't know if this would be a possible symptom.
It is unlikely to be related to heart issues.

Neck is supplied by cervical nerves arising in the cervical spine or neck.

Facial nerve supplies the facial muscles.

Some branches supply the platysma muscle below the mandible in the neck.

If your twitch involves those part & on the same side as the Bell's , it can be related.