Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

What is a lazy heart How do you help it get stronger What

Customer Question

What is a lazy heart ?
How do you help it get stronger
What can a heart doctor do for you ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 3 years ago.

Hello!

A "lazy heart" is not an official medical diagnosis but rather sounds that it was your doctor trying to communicate the essence of the findings of your test. Your heart may be weakened for some reason. From this explanation that was given to you I would presume that your cardiac output(blood pumped out per minute was low). There are different possible reasons for this outcome. It could be that you have a dilated cardiomyopathy. This is a weakened and thinned heart muscle and a dilated heart that pumps weakly. This can be caused by coronary artery disease and previous heart attach or more gradual ischemia and weakening as one possible scenario.

One of the main indicators that we look at with cardiac function is called the left ventricle ejection fraction. (The left ventricle is the chamber of the heart that pushes blood out to the aorta and thus to the brain and body. It is the highest pressure chamber and has the hardest work to do) Normal ejection fraction is about 65%. This is the amount of blood that is pushed out of the chamber when it contracts. Your ejection fraction may have been lower. If so then this may have led to the description of "lazy heart".

Depending on exactly what is going on there is probably medical treatment to help the function of your heart. One common example would be blood pressure medications. (If your lower the blood pressure then the heart does not have to work as hard to push blood out for example) If you should have coronary artery blockage then this would need to be addressed.

One harmless thing that you can do that certainly won't hurt anything and might help is to take the supplement of CoQ10 100mg/day. This supplement is part of our cells mechanism to convert sugar to energy. It is more plentiful in muscle tissue and the most plentiful in heart muscle tissue. There have been studies shown to help the heart improve ejection fraction in some heart patients. As I said it will not hurt and may help.

It sounds that you need to meet with your doctor and get a more thorough explanation of your test findings.

I hope this information helps. If you have further questions then let me know and i will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD