Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience:  Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist
8591189

I noticed that inside my navel is bright red and when I put

I noticed that inside my navel is bright red and when I put some benadryl cream on it, it burned. I put vicks vapor rub on it overnight and it seems better. I have never experienced this and I am 59 years old. It concerned me and I would like to know what it is and what I should put on it since I cannot see a doctor at this time. I will see my doctor March 21 and can see about it then. Is it serious?

Welcome to JustAnswer, It will be a pleasure to try and help with your concerns.

Is this tender to touch ?

Do you have a fever ?

Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, it is tender, but not painful---I had just never noticed this happening before, but I had to turn it a bit inside out to even see that it was red. I do not have any fever and feel great.

This is probably an infection of the navel, likely to be caused by friction from clothing.

You can try keeping the area clean and dry and applying an Over the counter antibiotic ointment like Neosporin over it.

This should help clear this redness and discomfort.

I hope this helps you.