Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Hi....I recently noticed a cluster of bumps on my left butt

Hi....I recently noticed a cluster of bumps on my left butt cheek, at the bottom of the cheek. At first I thought it was an std, but then today i noticed that when i changed the wrap on it, it was a little pusy. Also, i felt over it with my finger (i wore a glove) and the area was hard as well....what could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.

Are the bumps painful?
How many do you have?
Is there any redness? Do they appear blister like or can you see white pus bumps when you look at them?
What is your age?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The bumps were itchy at first, and now they are slightly tender, i mean slightly, like barely....its about 5 or 6 of them. They aren't blisters, they are like white bumps...didn't notice pus till i changed to bandage before i got in the shower...im 24 female
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

If they are white bumps (pustules) then it sounds like you have boils. These are small abscesses that can occur on the the buttocks (and other areas of the body) and can occur due to infected hair follicles or breaks in the skin and in areas of friction.

The treatment for small boils is to apply warm compresses to the area along with antibiotic ointment. If they do not seem to be improving, however, you need to see your doctor for an exam. In some cases, they need to be opened and drained (especially if they appear to be getting larger and more firm).

Other possibilities is that these are herpes bumps...however these do not typically cause pus drainage. Herpes typically has the appearance of a blister that eventually becomes a sore/ulcer.

If you would like to read more about boils, here is a link for you:

http://www.medicinenet.com/boils/article.htm#2whydo

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are boils tender? and how would i know they are herpes sores?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Boils can be itchy at first and then they become sore/tender.

Herpes sores are usually painful.

Here are a couple pictures of herpes on the buttocks. They are blisters...the fluid inside of them can appear cloudy...which can be confused with pus at times.

http://dherbs.com/store-images/Herpes1.gif

http://www.consultantlive.com/image/image_gallery?img_id=1418926&t=1244039436248

Compared to these pictures of boils:

http://www.boilsbegonenow.com/PictureOfBoil.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_N-yfJ-5x7pU/TJdFiGAjrcI/AAAAAAAAATU/otYLH4-IELs/s1600/boils-home-remedy.jpg

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
def think its herpes now after looking at the pictures....how do i control them? I've never had an outbreak b4 and when i went to the doc last june they said that it wasn't herpes and that i could have infected hair follicles because i had recently shaved my vaginal area....a few years ago i had hpv as well...could this be it?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry that this appears to be herpes.

It is not HPV if it appears like the pictures of herpes. HPV does not cause drainage. It causes flesh colored bumps on the genital area.

What I recommend is that you see your doctor tomorrow so that you can be accurately diagnosed. If this is herpes, then you can be started on antiviral medication (such as Valtrex).

This will help lessen the length of time of this outbreak.

You can also take Valtrex on a daily basis to suppress the virus (prevent recurrent outbreaks). This will also significantly lessen the chance of passing the virus to a sexual partner. Using condoms plus Valtrex along with not having sex during an outbreak will lessen the chance of passing the virus even more.
There is no way to lessen the chance to zero, but condoms plus Valtrex are very effective.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well im currently not in the states...i wont be back home until the first week of april....should i see a doctor here in spain?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
You don't have to take Valtrex for the outbreak. It is up to you.
The one benefit to going would be to confirm that it is herpes.

If you have another outbreak while you are there, I would consider seeing a doctor while you are there just so that you can start on suppressive therapy.

For now, just keep the area clean. If it seems to become suddenly worse (more red and warm, with increasing drainage) then see a doctor. This would signal that it is becoming infected with bacteria. Any time we have breaks in our skin, bacteria can get in and cause infection.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How long do outbreaks normally last?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
If this is the first episode of herpes, it can last about 2 weeks.

A recurrent episode lasts about 10 days.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
and how often do outbreaks occur?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
It is variable.

Some people never have another outbreak.
Some people have one a year and others have several outbreaks a year. Some have one outbreak every 10 years...

We do not know why some people have more frequent outbreaks than others.

Hopefully, you will not have another outbreak.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do i tell my current boyfriend? we haven't slept together...but i want to tell him because i love him....
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
I think that first you should confirm that you have it. You can have a blood test when you get home if you do not have an active outbreak.

Then, you need to be completely honest with him. I know it is very hard to do that.
But, if you take valtrex, use condoms and do not have sex when you have an outbreak, these are very effective ways to help prevent spreading the virus to him.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what about pregnancy in the future?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
You can have children :)

If you truly have herpes, then often Valtrex will be given close to the end of pregnancy to prevent an outbreak. If you have an active outbreak during labor, you will have a C-section.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you for your help...im a lil upset right now
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
I understand.

I wish I could make you feel better...

I think the most important first step is confirming the diagnosis.
It may help to see a doctor in Spain just to confirm or rule it out.

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. I have spent a lot of time trying to help you. Thank you!!

Dr Abby

Edited by Dr. Abby on 2/6/2011 at 4:07 PM EST
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States