A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I was given a prescription of hyoscyamine yesterday for stomach

I was given a prescription of hyoscyamine yesterday for stomach flu. Tonight my 6yr has the same symptoms I had yesterday. Can I give him any for his stomach pain tonight until we can get to the pediatrician in the morning ?
my dosage is 0.125mg
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. You should call your child's pediatrician. It is usually all right to use hyoscamine 1/2 to one 0.125 mg tablet every four hours with a maximum of 6 in 24 hours. Some children exhibit a bad reaction to it though such as increased nervousness, agitation and excitability. It can also cause an increase in body temperature. It shouldn't be used in children with seizure disorders or heart defects.