Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

stange white paste-like chunky discharge that happens at all times

I have had a weird situation for a while now that i have been too embarrassed to ask anyone about. I have a stange white paste-like chunky discharge that happens at all times of the month. It is an uncomfortable thing, there is a lot at a time, sometimes when I laugh or sneeze. It doesn't always smell bad. I thought it would just go away but it hasn't. I know I have to go to a gyno and get it checked out but i was hoping i could get some quick answers because i've been worried. I want to know what I have and what it entails. I am sexually active (but always safe) and 18 years old. Please help me and tell me what is going on with my body.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shah :

Hello, Welcome to Just answer! I

Customer :

hello

Dr. Shah :

Based on your description, it looks like a case of yeast infection.

Dr. Shah :

Have you tried any OTC meds?

Customer :

nope

Customer :

what exactly are the symptoms of a yeast infection, i've thought of that but when i looked it up it didnt seem to match up

Dr. Shah :

Your presentation is very typical for yeast infection. You can try OTC anti fungal meds to get rid of it.

Customer :

which one? and how do I know its that for sure? could it be anything else?

Dr. Shah :

You can not expect to have all the symptoms at the same time....

Dr. Shah :

White paste like discharge is very typical.... other symptoms could be itching, burning,

Customer :

Its been happening for a while now, is it possible that it has stayed for this long? and when will my discharge go back to normal saying it is a YI and I take OTC meds?

Dr. Shah :

You can read more about it from this link.

Dr. Shah :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/yeast-infection/DS01182/DSECTION=symptoms

Dr. Shah :

Yes, you can take OTC meds and see if you feel better. If no recovery, then you will have to see your OBG for vaginal swab test to see why you are not responding to antifungal meds

Customer :

Thank you I will do that. Is there any more you can tell me about this, like when I should expect it to clear, what I should do, Ive been ignoring it for months, thats bad right? Im just worried i've put it off so much

Dr. Shah :

Usually your symptoms will subside after treatment....

Dr. Shah :

Ignoring is not an option.

Customer :

okay, is the OTC a pill I can take? which one should I look for specifically?

Dr. Shah :

You can buy MONISTAT from OTC

Dr. Shah :

You can also ask pharmacist for further information.

Customer :

Is that a pill of cream?

Dr. Shah :

not pill.... it is a cream

Customer :

Okay. thank you very much

Dr. Shah :

You are welcome!
Now you can press "ACCEPT" button to end this conversation. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question.
Thank you for visiting just answer.

Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.