Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

last night my husband suffered from extremely painful spasms

Customer Question

last night my husband suffered from extremely painful spasms in his leg and foot in the night, and today he has had his left thumb and forefinger become totally rigid and painful off and on. this has happened before, so he isn't concerned and won't see a doctor. what might be causing this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.
Does he have lower back pain? Neck pain? Wrist pain?

Is it always on the left side?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, he doesn't complain of lower back or neck pain, no wrist pain. It isn't always on the left side, either. He is an avid golfer and had golfed 18 holes the day before his night cramping. In the past, this happened (we live in La Quinta, CA in the desert) more than once during the summer heat and someone suggested he drink gatorade, which we thought helped prevent them...but it is actually unusally chilly here right now!!
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.
OK.

Well, the fact that it is intermittent, and not always on the same location means that there hopefully is not a serious issue going on.

Certainly -- after activity (such as golfing) -- you can have your muscles be "sore" after use, and certainly it is quite normal to have cramping in those muscles after overactivity. Having electrolyte disturbances or dehydration can contribute to this as well. Overuse injuries, such as inflammation of the tendons or ligaments in the wrist or hand can cause those issues, as well as inflammation of muscles or irritation of nerves in those areas.

But it's probably impossible to say exactly what could be causing this, because of the intermittent nature of his symptoms.
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience: U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery