Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

Standard blood tests showed no evidence of infection..hip

I've had no further episodes since I consulted you 10 months ago, so what remains for me is to find an explanation for the shaking chills fever. Standard blood tests showed no evidence of infection. I don't believe my blood levels of cobalt and chromium were measured, however, so I haven't ruled out a metalosis reaction to my hip replacements. But why no symptoms since early last year?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
I have reviewed your previous question. Having no new symptoms is a good sign, and since you no longer have any symptoms, any tests to find the cause of shaking chills are less likely to be successful. Blood tests including blood culture are only useful during active infection. If the blood tests were negative at that time, then any infection is less likely. You may have a mild viral infection which can cause shaking chills and is not visible on tests. Also metallosis reaction is less likely to be a cause of your symptoms since you did not have the symptoms of an immune reaction to metal.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As I pointed out in my original complaint, I felt pain and weakness in my left hip during the fever episodes. (Both hips have been replaced.) What are the typical symptoms of metallosis?
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
Symptoms of metallosis are pain around the site of the implant, pseudotumors (a mass of inflamed cells that resembles a tumor but is in fact merely collected fluid), and a noticeable rash that indicates dying tissue. Pain in the hips during fever episodes can be due to systemic viral infection such as flu.