Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

I had an endiscope in november 2010 results were reflux, previous

I had an endiscope in november 2010 results were reflux, previous history gastic ulcers, gastritis, H-Poly bacteria.I also had colon resection with one foot removed for diverticulas, after that two bowel blockage. I have had my gallbladder removed prior to colon resection and bowel blockage. I am currently on Protonix 40 mg and have been taken that since September. I am going to see the doctor soon and I am not feeling better. I do not have heartburn which I really only had a little of, but after I eat within one to two hours my food comes up almost to a vomit. After that I get a very sore throat and my ears and teeth hurt for about two days. What would be a solution to the problem?. I am not sure how to approach this and what would be the options for me to consider. Thank you Joan
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

HI,

Do you have any symptoms like nasal obstruction , nasal discharge, fever, fluid trickling in throar, throat irritation, ear blockade feelings, crackling sounds in ears?

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no nasal obstruction, minor nasal discharge, throat irritation like a sore throat, when I swallow my ears crack and feel like they are blocked, low grade fever sometimes
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your input.

You are most probably having a sinus infection too . The ears hurt because the ear tubes behind the nose gets blocked. The teeth hurts because the roots of teeth lies in the the sinuses.

You need to see an ENT doctor for an evaluation and meanwhile i am going to suggest OTC drugs which you can start with .

Tab Claritin once daily

Xylometazoline nasal spray 2 puffs thrice daily(use if no high blood pressure issues)

Tab Tylenol for pain, thrice daily

Steam inhalation with menthol.

Take tab Domperidone thrice daily, one tablet half hour before meal, this will help you with acid reflux.

Take meals two hours before you go to sleep, avoid spicy foods, alcohol and smoking.

You may need antibiotics so please visit ENT but start with OTC, they will help you.

I wish you good luck for all.

Please click ACCEPT if i have answered your question. or ask more if you want.

Regards

Dr Hasan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not have an sinsus infection. From the reflux is why I have ear and throat issues. I did see an ENT which said I have no ear, throat or sinus issues. She referred me to a gastro doctor for the endiscope. It is an issue with the stomach and the esophgus. My question is what are my alternative to fix the issue with the regugitation which comes very frequently. I was told the protonix should have taken care of the issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The issue is reflux. I was looking for information about regurgitition and alternatives to the problem to correct reflux since medication has not worked. Thank you. This is my second time I write this comment and waiting for a new answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please read above
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
see previous information
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Yes, your symptoms are very suggestive of acid reflux, not sinus problems.

I do not think you are under-medicated if you only take Protonix 40 mg once daily and still having such severe symptoms.

There are actually multiple options and multiple medications that can be tried. Protonix is a class of medications called Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs). There are several other medications within that class such as Nexium, Aciphex, Prevacid, Kapidex (newest) and Prilosec. Initially I would recommend that you increase Protonix to twice daily, if you still continue to have symptoms, you can ask your doctor to switch you to a different PPI (also to be taken twice daily).

In addition to a PPI there are several other things you can take such as Ranitidine (Zantac) 150 mg twice daily - this one is available over-the-counter, Reglan 10 mg (prescription only), and/or Carafate. All these other drugs improve acid reflux, Reglan helps with making the esophageal valve stronger so that less acid leaks out, Carafate is great for treatment of ulcers as well as general stomach healing.

So these are your options. Please discuss them with your GI doctor and see which one would be most appropriate for you. Sometimes several different combinations/dosages of drugs need to be tried before symptoms resolve. Also I am assuming that you have received treatment for H. Pylori that was found in your stomach (2 antibiotics along with a PPI). If not, that must be addressed and treated.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss