Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

Customer Question

I got an answer before but just wanted to confirm again. I gave unprotected sex back in the beginning of August (Which would make me almost 6 months). My periods are usually irregular. I had a period at the end of July. After that I hadn't had a period for over two months. Around October I started having symptoms of frequent urination etc. Well here it is in January and my breast are swelling, my areolas are dark around, I have tons of veins in my breast which Ive NEVER had before, also veins in the other parts of my body; chest, legs, etc are becoming more visible. I am extremely tires even after sleeping long hours. I am feeling things in my stomach I have never felt before and they are waking me up at night. It sort of feels like bubbles popping, in my lower abdomen as well as my rib area, and it travels from one side to the other often. It feels as if i'm ovulating but no period is coming. I also am having dull lower back pains as if i'm going to get my period and it never comes. I'm also suffering from extreme dry mouth and i'm always thirsty (this is unique to me as well)

So far I have taken several HPTs and ALL have come back negative. I have had 3 blood test already in which are also negative. I had an ultrasound last week and they said they see no baby in my uterus, but I went without a full bladder. I don't know if that would impact it any at all. I have also seen a urologist and have no signs of infection. So if NOTHING is wrong according to the doctors why are all these symptoms especially the feelings in my stomach/kicking etc becoming more and more evident with each month. The back pains are really one of the worst parts, and the breast swelling and turning dark is a SURE sign. Can you advise me at all?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thanks for your question .

Probably with several negative HPT, negative blood test, negative ultrasound pregnancy is out of question .
Usually blood test are accurate enough to diagnose pregnancy after missed period .
You need a Trans Vaginal ultrasound to rule out poly cystic ovarian disorder. PCOD can cause irregular periods .
Also hormonal imbalance can also cause irregular period .
Also a thyroid function test, LH,FSH,Prolactin test may be advised to you for further management .
So a refferal to an Obs/gyn doctor may be considered to further evaluate the cause of irregular periods .

Edited by Dr Anil Kumar on 2/1/2011 at 3:17 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been diagnosed with PCOS already and have been tested for all of the above and have all the test come back ok. Im just nervous because I know several people that never tested positive but come up pregnant, and one ladies baby was found hiding behind her ribs at 24 weeks. I didnt know that was possible. Any thing for the stomach movements? when I push down on my stomach it seems as if there is fluid, I can hear it swishing around, I hope I dont sound crazy....
No with so many negative test pregnancy is out of question .
Your periods are irregular due to PCOD .

Pseudocyesis is the medical term for a false pregnancy. Pseudocyesis can cause many of the signs and symptoms of pregnancy, and often resembles the condition in every way except for the presence of a fetus.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just cant think that I could cause my own breast to swell become veiny and turn dark? If that is the case how can I get pass this?
Well i don't think you are pregnancy.
Your symptoms may be infact Pseudocyesis as mentioned above .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this happens to women that desire to be pregnant I dont desire to be pregnant at all.
No there is no single theory which can be attributed to pseudocyesis .
Probably the symptoms are more mind related and not at all related to pregnancy .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
even as severe as i am having them?
Yes there are patients which can manifest with symptoms resembling exactly as pregnancy and patients are totally convinced that they are pregnant .
The irregularity of period due to PCOD just make you believe you are pregant since it is feed in female mind that no periods means pregnancy .
You should understand that other than pregnancy there can be other causes of delay in period.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im not so much as worried about the delay in period as I am with the other symptoms mentioned in my first email
Well the symptoms you describe may be related to fluctuation in the levels of hormones .
With a history of PCOD infact many woman find it difficult to conceive and the condition is associated with increased risk of miscarriages .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am now confused...the lower back pain and everything? these sympotoms i never had until after that encounter in august
At the most you can opt for urine test to rule out urinary infection ,but i do think these symptoms are psychological and probably related to your mind .
With negative test , the symptoms after sexual intercourse are more of psychological issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If there was anything it wouldve been picked up in my ultrasound for sure correct? even without a full bladder? could it be a case where the baby could be in the ribs?
If you are pregnant, pregnancy test should be positive in first place .
Usually with TVS ultrasound pregnancy can be picked even without urine pressure .

No you are not pregnant.

Please click ACCEPT button if you are satisfied. POSITIVE feedback & BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
last question. When i press on my stomach and feel the apperance of fluid, what could that be?
Fluid you feel may be inside the lumen of intestines or Gastro-intestinal tract.

Edited by Dr Anil Kumar on 2/1/2011 at 5:32 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what could cause this?
Normally during digestion process there is fluid in intestines.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
im just confused as to all that is going on with my body....Thank you for your help
Well i am afraid i have not much to add to the above answers.
If you want i can open this question for other experts as well to review this case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes can you please?!! ;-)))
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.