Nurse Mandy
Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience:  LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat

My son has had a stomach bug for a week now. Ive taken him

Customer Question

My son has had a stomach bug for a week now. I've taken him to KidMed to get him seen and they gave him IV fluids. He still isn't better. But they sent him home with a script of Potassium chloride to take. The thing is .... he isn't drinking or eating alot due to everything comes right out in the form or diarrhea.

His potassium levels were low along with other things in his blood but the doctor said for him to take potassium chloride and the foods he eats will replenish the other things that he is low in.

WHAT is the best way to give him this nasty tasting medicine when my child (4 years old) isn't eating or drinking?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Mandy replied 5 years ago.

Hello krispy 292,

My name isXXXXX you for using Just Answer.

The most important thing currently is that you get your son to eat and especially drink. You do not want him getting dehydrated. If that happens, he will require more IV fluids. Pedialite or Gatorade is truly what you need to get him to take to replenish his electrolytes. For eating try dry toast, broth or jello. He truly truly does need to get some kind of nourishment.

If he is still having a lot of diarrhea, and has had for a week, you should take him back to the doctor to get some medication to help with this.

The best way to get him to take the medicine is to mix it in something you can get him to eat, such as apple sauce, pudding or even ice cream. Hopefully, he will not notice the taste once it is mixed in with something else and you will get him to take his full dose.

Hope this has helped you with your concern. Hope your son gets to feeling better very soon. Have a great day!