Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I feel weak and breathless. Very hard to move about the house.

I feel weak and breathless. Very hard to move about the house. I have elevated pulse rate (pounding) and have difficulty breathing. I am sweating profusely. Tonight, I have felt over full in my stomach and have now vomited on two occassions in the last hour. I now just feel weak and washed out. I can't stand much more of these hot days. I have Barritt's Oesophagus - reflux which is controlled by Nexium (20mg daily) and I have taken two Gaviscon tablets with one Nexium over the past 30 mins. The first Gaviscon tablet brought on the vomiting. When that settled down and I again vomited a small amount, I took another Gaviscon and a Nexium tablet. I feel better now but still not feeling very strong. I have been treated for Angina in the past (Dec 2007) and at 66 yrs am worried about my heart condition which appears stable but I had a mild heart attack in 2008 when recovering from an Angioplasty. At the time the specialist said that there was no damage to the heart. There is not a lot I can do about the reflux except eat small meals and keep away from fatty or spicey foods. Because of the heat, I have spent a bit of time at the local shopping centre and have had take-away meals yesterday and today. I have eaten two fatty meals over the past 24 hours which may be the cause of the stomach pain and nausea. I also had a chocolate moove today with lunch - I don't drink milk very often. Am I suffering heat exhaustion or just reflux?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Do you have chest heaviness and discomfort?

Any pain in left arm or upper abdominal pain or dizziness?

Is it possible for you to take pulse and blood pressure?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No chest pain nor pain in my left arm. I usually don't have high blood pressure (110 over 70 or up to 125 over 80 after exercise). Currently pulse rate is 100 per minute. I am starting to feel better but still sweating profusely. Have been able to take small sips of water but still feel a bit weak and nauseaus.

A diagnosis of heat exhaustion is dependent on exposure time to heat, apart from your symptoms. If you feel that you had lost, lot of water and electrolytes during shopping, and was unable to compensate the losses, the heat exhaustion would be the diagnosis. It does not look like acid reflux with your symptoms which is not very likely to cause difficulty breathing, weakness and fast pulse rate.

Having said that; with your past history of cardiac ailment, it is necessary that you get an EKG and heart enzymes (which are blood work). Your symptoms need categorical ruling out of any heart related problem, despite no chest pain or discomfort. Vomiting, weakness and difficulty breathing are sufficient enough symptoms for the cardiac evaluation. So going to emergency room, is advised, even if you feel better, to pin point the cause. Thus necessary precautions can be taken in future and treatment can be done if there is any present problem.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine