Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

If I have a) repetitive, frequent vaginal yeast infections

If I have a) repetitive, frequent vaginal yeast infections (over a period of years) b) urine that periodically smells like yeast and c) a distinct "yeast" smell that my nose produces (other can't smell it) accompanied by almost constant congestion and the occasional sinus headaches or even migraines is it possible that I could have an internal fungal infection that is making it impossible for me to truly get rid of any of these issues?

Greetings.

This is likely to be chronic yeast infection. Some women experience chronic recurrent vulvovaginitis, which often require long-term or prophylactic oral azole therapy for control. So for that, the recommended regimen is fluconazole 150 mg every other day for 3 doses, followed by weekly fluconazole 150-200 mg for 6 months. This regimen abate the symptoms and prevents further recurrence in majority of women and treat yeast infection elsewhere too.

Boric acid wash for vagina can be used in resistant cases, as an alternative measure with the consultation of your physician. A specific culture; Nickerson or Sabouraud mediums should be performed in refractory or recurrent cases of vaginal candidiasis to confirm the infection. So you can talk to your doctor to get this culture before you start the treatment.

Women who do not improve with above can use, clotrimazole 500 mg vaginal suppositories administered once per week for six months which is also effective.

Also avoid (if you do) following;

1) panty liners,
2) pantyhose,
3) sexual lubricants

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun