Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have a sebaceous cyst/carbuncle on my back, exactly on the

I have a sebaceous cyst/carbuncle on my back, exactly on the middle line on my vertebral column. It got infected 4 times during the past 20 years with pain, pus and severe inflammation. Everytime it heals, and starts again. Is there a nonsurgical way of treating this kind of cyst.
Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am afraid, the answer is No. The sebaceous cyst recurs because the internal lining keeps on secreting the sebum intermittently and thus the aggravation. The only way this internal lining can be removed is by a very small surgical procedure. This is an office work. The doctor does it under numbing medication (local anesthesia Lidocaine) and the procedure may take just 5-10 minutes. So you may consider it, which will prevent the recurrence and treat it completely.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I heard that even after surgery it recurrs. Also, the procedure is very painful even with local anesthesia. The cyst is exactly on my upper vetebra.
Would applying warm compresses help in reducing the cyst
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Warm compresses would definitely help in reducing the cyst. But this may recur later on after varying duration. Any experienced surgeon will remove the complete lining of the cyst and that would prevent the recurrence. A residual lining is responsible for the recurrence. But this is rare. A good local anesthesia will prevent any kind of pain and makes the procedure absolute pain free.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Dr. Do you think eating excess fatty food leads to the formation of Sebaceous Cysts. Why do some people get it while others do not. Thanks

You are very welcome.

Sebaceous cyst can be formed in any individual. Please see the causes in this resource (some individuals are predisposed);

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sebaceous-cysts/DS00979/DSECTION=causes

Eating excess fatty food is not responsible for it.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Dr. Arun

Kindly advise which Physician (specialty) I could see regarding the operation.
Also, Do I need to see a specialist in nerves, as the cyst is right on the vertebra, and I am worried that the operation might harm the nervous system. I am really worried about
that. Thanks

You are most welcome.

You need to consult a general surgeon. The sebaceous cyst does not go deep so please do not worry about any neurological or spinal involvement. You do not need to consult a neurosurgeon.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine