A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I am 40 and weigh just under 500 pounds at 61 . I have a

I am 40 and weigh just under 500 pounds at 6'1". I have a rather large panniculus that has become more flabby with some recent weight loss (60 pounds), and the skin is patchy, soft and discolored on one side (the side that hangs down the most). I discovered today that it was leaking cold, clear, watery liquid without any odor. At first I thought I was becoming incontinent because my pants were soaked, but realized, because of the lack of odor, it was something else. I am on a low-fat, mostly vegetarian weight loss regimen and have been going to the gym and exercising regularly so the site has become looser, more irritated, and requires more attention hygienically.

Examining the site, I found a small "opening" (it looks more like a circular brownish patch on the skin) with what appears to be a soft, pink papule poking though. Around this protrusion the fluid is now leaking like drops from an eyedropper, but earlier had soaked two pair of pants and my right foot. I am not in any pain and there is no sign of infection. In fact, the liquid, and the site it is coming out of are very, very cold. I have cleansed the site with some hydrogen peroxcide and applied some pressure to what I guess could be described as the opening.

I've heard of this happening to someone's legs in severe cases of edema, but I've never heard of this kind of leaking from someone's abdomen before. Have I taken the right steps, and am I right in assuming it is the same condition in a different location? Should I seek medical attention now, or continue doing what I've been doing?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Please don't use hydrogen peroxide since it damages skin and makes healing more difficult. You should seek medical attention this week for this problem. It can be from lack of circulation, or even an infection.