Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I just saw my blood test results on the web and I have a couple

I just saw my blood test results on the web and I have a couple of questions. My hemoglobin is at 6.7 which is a little high. What would cause this? and I had three other tests which seem to be in the normal range but I am not sure what they are for. They are Gamma GT, AST and ALT. Can you tell me what they measure? Thankyou.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 3 years ago.

Why test were taken?

Do you have any symptom?

Are you diabetic?

Is HbA1c level 6.7?

When have you consulted doctor last?

Do you take any medicine?

Do you have any previous illness?

What is your age? sex?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tests were taken for a followup. Right now I do have a earache and sore tongue at the back but have been given antibiotics, however I didn't start them when the tests were taken.I am a borderline diabetic. The hemoglobin level was 6.7. I am 56 and male.No previous illness.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Also My gamma GT was 19, ALT was 42, and AST is 26
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 3 years ago.
Can you give the the normal range of the laboratory of all the results?

What was exactly written in before hemoglobin level 6.7 with units?

Do you have any other tests?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
normal range was 4.8 - .2 for Hemoglobin AiC
Gamma GT normal is <49
ALT <50
AST<36
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

From you results it seems that HbA1c level was tested to check you diabetes status.

HbA1c 6.7 means your random blood sugar range is between 135 -170 mg/dl.

HbA1c is near normal.

Below 6.5 is good, till 6.7 can be taken within normal range.

As you are borderline diabetic, diet control, exercise should be increased to have a good control.

GGT, ALT, AST are checked to assess the liver function.

Liver function is good.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Regards.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 35 years of experience