Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

can you get numbness over large areas of skin and numbness

can you get numbness over large areas of skin and numbness in extremities with Fibromyalgia?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 5 years ago.

Nurse Milli :

Hello and thanks for the question this evening

Nurse Milli :

To answer your question simply....yes. You can experience numbness and tingling with Fibromyalgia.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks for the link.. I'm not sure what's next for me. I am waiting for an appointment with a Neurologist. The only abnormality that two different internists and my gynecologist could find was fibroid cysts on one of my ovaries and a few small ones in my uterus and low thyroid. All other blood tests came back fine. I have to wait a little while to get into the neurologist which is part of my frustration. My pain and discomfort is getting progressively worse and becoming quite unbearable at times. I haven't slept through the night since Christmas. The internist thinks it's MS, doesn't think Fibromyalgia could cause this kind of pain and numbness. From the link you sent I see that's not always the case. Do you think I should see a rheumatologist instead of neurologist?

Hi there and thanks for the reply back. Fibromyalgia can certainly cause pain and also numbness. I don't know if you have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia or not but there is no specific test to determine if you have Fibromyalgia or not (no specific blood test exist). Diagnosis is made by physical exam and other cumulative blood test such as the Sed Rate and everything together helps the Dr to diagnose with Fibro. Sometimes, if everything else is ruled out (such as MS), then Fibro is the end result. Of course, MS is hard to diagnose too. The Neurologist would be a good place for you to start.