Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I think I have tendonitis of the right shoulder. I went to

I think I have tendonitis of the right shoulder. I went to the doctors a few months ago with shoulder pain and he said (without any tests) I had tendonitis. He gave me an injection of cortisone. It seemed to help a little but for the past few weeks it has gotten much worse. My most unconfortable time is early in the morning 3:00. It's a burning sensation. My only relief is to raise my arm (while laying down) straight up in the air, or lay on my side with my arm raised up (six inches) with a pillow. Now my question is what can I do to "make it better"? I'm retired (60) and I don't do alot of heavy lifting although I do swing a golf club some.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Greetings.

Are your shoulder movements painful and/or restricted?

Are you diabetic?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sometimes I have pain when I move, but it is more when I am laying down in the evening, which is also when the pain pills for my back pain wear off. I do not want to have to take them all the time so am trying to find something else I can do. I was told that I am a 'borderline" diabetic.

Your symptoms point to cervical radiculopathy (pain due to pinched nerves; degenerative disc disease or bone spurs pressing on the nerves). This can be episodic and do have precipitation of symptoms on specific posture. The specific posture, puts pressure on nerves. The other causes of consideration would be;

1) Bicipital tendinitis
2) Frozen shoulder
3) Brachial neuritis
4) Rotator cuff disease
5) Suprascapular neuropathy

All of these conditions will respond to physical therapy alone. The program should be daily and assisted by the physical therapist. The regimen consists of active and active-assistive range-of-motion exercises combined with stretching. Other treatment modalities such as heat and massage may help. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory analgesics may also be beneficial. Deep electrotherapy in the form of short wave diathermy, Interferential current, trans cutaneous electrical stimulation, iontophoresis, phonophoresis also is very help initially.

For pinched nerves of neck; following investigations would be required;

1) X-ray of the neck spine

2) MRI of the neck

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG)

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.

a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.

b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).

c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.

2) Cervical / neck traction

3) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

4) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active against resistance regime.

5) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser and ultrasound.

6) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

You can consult following specialists;

a) Orthopedist

b) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine