Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years

Dear Doctor, My 32 year old daughter, who transitioned to

Dear Doctor,

My 32 year old daughter, who transitioned to become male (by taking testosterone and having a complete hysterectomy last year), has had mild psoriasis since childhood. She's had joint issues surfacing since adolescence (?) that are becoming increasing painful and hard to deal with. Her doctors think he has psoriatic arthritis. What can he do to help himself with food, homeopathy, etc. Thank you very much, Kathleen ps. He has always had very strange looking nail beds, as if they are affected by the psoriasis as well.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 5 years ago.

Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info.

General good nutrition is key to any state of health - plenty of fiber, fruits and vegetables to ensure proper vitamins (no need for supplements). Psoriasis is auto-immune mediated, so avoidance of stress is key, along with good nutrition. I would avoid supplements as they can have untoward side effects and are not well controlled for quality. It is very common that the nails are affected by psoriasis.

I do wish your son well in his transition, Kathleen.