Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I feel sick to my stomach after eating almost anything and

I feel sick to my stomach after eating almost anything and sometimes have chest pains. What could cause this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 5 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

You may have a combination of esphogitis and gastritis(or ulcer ) of the stomach.

Anthony Bray MD :

Irritation of the lining of the esophagus and the stomach would likely fit with your symptoms. The chest discomfort due to eating sounds likely to be due to irritation of your espohagus.

Anthony Bray MD :

I would recommend that you follow up with your doctor with regard to these symptoms.

Anthony Bray MD :

I would recommend that you might try OTC Prilosec or Prevacid to reduce the acidity of the stomach.

JACUSTOMER-evfmttj4- :

I will, thank you.

Anthony Bray MD :

You mau need to avoid certain foods and drinks such as spicy foods, and aciddic foods.

Anthony Bray MD :

Citrus fruits(oranges, orange juice, pineapple, grapefruit) and tomatoes or foods with tomato sauce. Also peppers and onions. Also any alcoholic drinks. Coffee may also be an irritant. Anti-inflammatory meds (Tylenol is OK ) should be avoided. These restrictions are not permanent but allow about 6 to 8 weeks typically for healing.

JACUSTOMER-evfmttj4- :

It happened after I ate a salad with lettuce, cucumber, carrots and a vegan mayo dressing. How about a vicodin, it seems to help.

Anthony Bray MD :

Vicodin is OK in that it is hydrocodone plus acetaminophen.

JACUSTOMER-evfmttj4- :

Coffee is the worst. I've been having Ginger tea.

Anthony Bray MD :

Right coffee tends to be an irritant.

JACUSTOMER-evfmttj4- :

Okay, thanks for your assistance. I'm trying to lose weight, eat right and what do I get?? PAIN from a salad, and no tomato.

Anthony Bray MD :

Well, hang in there. You have the right idea. This should pass. After you heal up the tomatoes and citrus fruits are good for you. You just need to avoid these while you are so sensitive. Also you may use immediates acting products like Tums, Mylanta, Pepto as these work fast but do not last long...

JACUSTOMER-evfmttj4- :

Okay, thank you.

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!