Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

my head feels weird inside all the time..like a weak feeling...

my head feels weird inside all the time..like a weak feeling... can that be anxiety... my hands feel weak at the same time as well... mri was unremarkable.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health.

These sensations you describe; "..head feels weird inside all the time..like a weak feeling... hands fee weak at the same time.." can be caused by anxiety. I quickly glanced at some of the other questions you have had too (I didn't read them in depth yet) and many of those symptoms, too can be cause by anxiety.

Has anyone discussed with you the effects of breathing pattern? This is something that often occurs along with anxiety and is not noticeable to the untrained individual. What often happens is that the anxious individual breaths more shallowly and rapidly than normal do to fear and anxiety and the tension that brings to the body. This sort of breathing pattern over time results in a blood stream carbon dioxide (CO2) and oxygen( O2) imbalance. There is excess CO2 and this results in light headedness and numbness and sometimes tingling in the extremities. It can actually lead to more muscle tension and chronic pain and even more symptoms - all due to the breathing pattern.

It can be very helpful to treat both the anxiety and the physical symptoms. There are many options for treating anxiety. It is usually best to try several and find out what seems to be the most helpful for you. This is a very good reference to read thoroughly to find out more about the different things that are available to help:

http://helpguide.org/topics/anxiety.htm

Although one can learn breathing exercises from many different sources, it is also helpful to consider taking a yoga class. In a beginner's Yoga class you are taught correct breathing and stretches that help to release tension and bringing oxygen into the muscles and over all circulatory system (including the brain).

Please reply to this post if you have further questions about this topic, need clarification, or anything else so that we may assist you until you are satisfied with your answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can i have something wrong in my brain.. cant beleive anxiety causes all these physical symptoms.. i cant even excecise without getting anxious... my heart beat doesnt feel like i have a fast heartbeat...

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry that you can't believe this. These are facts proven by research. That you can't even exercise without getting anxious points to a high degree of anxiety. It can be considered a brain disorder. Espcially in severe cases. It can be caused by hereditary, and it can also be caused by trauma of many types occurring either once or many times sometime in the past. Traumatic and anxiety inducing incidents in childhood are known to cause brain changes that results in chronic anxiety.

So yes, actually you do have a chemical imbalance in your brain. It often takes medication, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and life style changes to tackle this problem.

Edited by Susan Ivy on 1/27/2011 at 7:32 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
one more thing i get numbness in my head that lasts a couple of seconds... and my whole body gets limpy when that happens...is t hat anxiety also??? doctor wants me to take lexapro 1/2 tab everday but adfraid to start that in fear that something else would happen
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that can definitely be related to the anxiety and what it is doing to your body physiologically.

I really do hope you will look over the website I sent to you, take your time and try some of the suggestions. The lexapro will help you too, most likely. Your doctor is being careful and starting you on a low dose. It is important to remember though, that a sensitive person like you may notice side effects much more in the beginning. It is also important to know that there are more side effects in the beginning. These can take up to a month to wear off - so you must really give the medication up to 3 months to know how it is really going to effect you. This is because it is actually changing the chemistry of your brain - this is a gradual process.

Edited by Susan Ivy on 1/27/2011 at 7:55 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
love the link you sent me.. thank you... you dont think it could be a rain tumor godforbuid?//
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 3 years ago.
Nope, doesn't sound like a brain tumor at all. i promise. I am so glad you like the link, i really love that whole web site, and it is all commercial free! It has wonderful links to helpful things too
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
even though my arms and hands are weak... that isnt one their symptoms??? and get numbing sensations in head and body
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 3 years ago.
No it happens differently than that when there is a brain tumor. Once numbing started, it would not go away, and you would lose function in the area over time - it would get progressively worse. Most people with a brain tumor also have severe headaches or seizures and a mass can be found on CT or MRI.

Over time, depending on how long ago you found your vitamin D to be low, taking this may help. Eating healthy is helpful overall, if you are not.

Edited by Susan Ivy on 1/27/2011 at 9:23 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1 month ago.. vit d level was 26
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can it be TIAs..
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 3 years ago.
No, does not sound like TIA's. TIA are caused by blood clots. You would be having them elsewhere besides just your brain if you were having TIAs. Besdides, TIA's happen in people with risk factors high cholesterol, slow clotting of the blood, smokers, diabetes. Also, and I am trying to be careful how I say this because I do not want to offend you, but the pattern of your concern is very typical of that of a person with anxiety disorder. Of course, we still must and do take your concerns seriously, because of course a person with anxiety can still get physical problems. But you have had the test that show that this is not what it is, so this is why you must focus on the recommendations for anxiety.