Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

bone scan question regarding white spots

What do XXXXX, XXXXXght spots mean on a bone scan if they only appear on one leg?

I had a bone scan to rule out a stress fracture and based on the poor, photocopy results I gave to the sports doc, he ruled that out, but we don't have the radiology report to explain the white spots on one leg that showed up only after the two-hour wait, once fluid had time to settle in the bones. He said it is inflammation.

I don't have cancer — that I am aware of — so metastasized cancer is unlikely. Can arthritis display like this, or do I need to be concerned with more serious results?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

DR HASAN :

HI

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your question

DR HASAN :

Why that bone scan was done?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry you were unable to enter the chat, please reply to the info, i want to know that why it was ordered and what were your symptoms?

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had a sore foot that worsened with exercise so the sports medicine doctor wanted to rule out a stress fracture. I was sent to him with black and white photocopies of the results while the radiologist checks them in the next week. The photocopies were not very clear, but he was able to rule out a stress fracture.

What I saw during the test though is that my good leg was all gray, with he exception of a bright white spot in the area of an old ankle injury.

My bad foot, showed two very white bright spots on the top of my foot where it hurts, plus the entire foot, right up he ankle had speckled white spots on all images.

The first images taken right after they injected the substance didn't show anything but the old injury. But after two hours when I came back, my bad foot changed and became white speckles on the screen, while my good foot just showed that old injury again.

Can arthritis display like this??? I don't have cancer that I am aware of so I would think it is not metastasized cancer. What are the possibilities. The doctor said inflamation, but hasn't seen the radiology repot yet.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your input.

The most common causes of these bright spots are the following.

1. Infection of the bone called osteomyelitis.

2. Primary bone tumors

3. Metastasis from some other site.

If you are sure about the last two , as you said, then we are left with the infection only. Your doctor is very right yes this called be a bone infection or inflammation. Bone scans are sensitive tests for abnormal metabolism but are not as good at identifying the cause of the abnormality.

Bone scan results are interpreted along with symptoms, X-ray results and medical history. In addition, other tests such as computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imagining (MRI), blood tests or a biopsy may be needed to help establish a diagnosis.

You should see an orthopedic doctor and get further tests done to reach the cause of these spots with subsequent treatment. If you are not taking any pain killer , you can take OTC Tab Naproxen twice daily.

I hope this helps you.

If you have anything in your mind, please ask,

Good luck

Regards

Dr Hasan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I read though that infections cause fever and things like that. Is that true? I don't feel that way.

Also, can white spots mean arthritis? Is that at all possible? But I read that if white spots only appear after the radioactive material binds to the bone then there is abnormal metabolic activity.

I was worried after the scan when the technologist wanted to make sure my sports doc would be in when I brought the photocopy of the photos, but why wouldn't he be worried about the white spots? Will the radiologist's report suggest further testing if he thinks it is not degenerative bones?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your input.

infections cause fever and things like that. Is that true?

Usually but its not necessary to have fever with such infections.

can white spots mean arthritis?

Yes it can

why wouldn't he be worried about the white spots? Will the radiologist's report suggest further testing if he thinks it is not degenerative bones?

As i said its not only the investigation result which matter, the associated history and clinical examination matters too, so as he was aware of all that, he must not be suspecting anything, yes radiologist report usually suggest further testings which are required to confirm the diagnosis, moreover many a times, the report contains different possible diseases.

I hope this helps you.

Good luck

Regards

Dr Hasan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One last question: since the photocopy was not as clear as what I saw on screen, and perhaps he could not tell what I saw, if the radiologist views the results tomorrow or Tuesday and is concerned, would he call him if it looked like an urgent matter, or do they just fax it along when it is done. So basically, I don't see the doc again for two weeks, so if there are any major concerns, do you think I would hear before then???

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

Yes there is strong possibility because photocopy if bad can make the view obscure and results can be misleading. If there is anything serious they will give you feedback but hope for the best.

I wish that everything goes fine with you.

I hope this helps you.

Good luck

Regards

Dr Hasan

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery