Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

Missed vein slamming meth. What should I do

Missed vein slamming meth. What should I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Pauline :

At the moment, aside from hot compress there is little to be done unless you are feeling systemically unwell. There is a risk that this will develop into an abscess and so you need to keep an eye on the area for swelling, heat and pain.

Pauline :

In that case then you would need to see a doctor for possibly antibiotics or even drainage if there is a fluid collection under the skin.

Pauline :

We would recommend that you no longer use injections as a form of self-treatment. The potential for infection and blood clots is high. I have seen people lose a leg because they injected into the groin and developed an infection that spread.

JACUSTOMER-ex47rojz- : This happened 2 nights ago. I did hot compress yesterday. When I woke up today it was a little smaller. No pain but a little red. I compress tonight and it gets bigger then goes down
Pauline :

If it is now a couple of days then stop the hot compress and observe. The fact that it is now red suggests that it may be brewing an infection. You should see a doctor for an examination in person.

Pauline :

I suspect that you may now need antibiotics, although the redness may be a response to the irritation of the injection ingredient under the skin.

JACUSTOMER-ex47rojz- : If it's smaller again in the morn with no pain, think it will be ok?
Pauline :

Only time will tell what damage you have done. The contents of the injection will be irritating to the tissue, and may cause a local inflammation which is not infected. So it needs a clinical assessment.

JACUSTOMER-ex47rojz- : What about doxycycline? I have a lot of that
Pauline :

I would not recommend you self treat, doxycycline is not my first choice for skin infections, Usually a high dose flucloxacillin is prescribed. If the infection is deep,or an abscess then you may need intravenous antibiotics.

JACUSTOMER-ex47rojz- : Ok thank you for your help. I will never do this again. First time. I will seek help tomorrow if not better.
Pauline :

That is good, you can never be too careful with your health. Thanks for using Just Answer today. Please remember to click accept if this was helpful.