A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist

blood test results state high and low areas are MCV 102.3

blood test results state high and low areas are: MCV 102.3 (H) MCH 35.4(H), RDW 14.3(H), Neutrophil% 79.1(H), Lymphocyte% 15.4(L), RBC 3.95 (L), Lymphocyte# XXXXX (L), Chloride 109 (H), Anion gap 8 (L), Creatinine 1.1 (H), ALT(SGPT) 67 (H).
Don't know if this is something to be concerned about, if it is something that changes regularly,if it had to do with how I was feeling at the time(had just come off of a bad cold)if there is something I should be doing with diet or more exercise. Cholesterol was high 229 HDL was high 94 LDL was listed as normal 120 VLDL was 15 and ratio was listed as 2.4. Since no info was give from Doc would like to have some kind of input about this. Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. The red blood cell level is a little low. Generally this just means you are a little anemic. Neutrophils and lymphocytes are two of the five types of white blood cells. When one goes up it is typical for another to go down. None of the blood count results are of any great importance.

Chloride, anion gap and creatinine are part of the metabolic panel. Creatinine is used to track kidney function. The chloride and anion gap are probably off because you've had a cold. ALT is part of the liver panel. We don't worry about these until they are 2.5-4 times the upper limit of normal. For instance, if it says normal is 0-40, then we don't worry at all until the level is 100 or higher.

Your HDL (the "good" cholesterol) is great at 94. I struggle to get a lot of my patients up to 50. It offsets the total cholesterol since your LDL isn't so bad at 120. It would be best if it were under 100, but I doubt you need to be concerned about it.

Your physician may want to check your blood levels again in 3 months or so, but there is nothing there to worry about.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist