Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a fungal infection on my neck, shoulders and back. It

I have a fungal infection on my neck, shoulders and back. It appeared last November 2010 after a heatwave and sunbathing in California. I was already brown from tanning and when the fungal infection came white spots/blemishes appeared and then spread over weeks and months to neck, shoulders and most of my back. I went to a dermatologist in LA who gave me Oxistat, but a very small bottle so that ran out quickly. I then tried creams from over the counter, general fungal cream, and then back in the UK mid December I went to my GP who recommended using Head and Shoulders shampoo on the skin, but also gave me Nizoral 2% shampoo for the skin. I have used both for 3.5 weeks now once a day. Throughout my treatment I have used these different things once a day. My question is: how do I know when the fungal infection is gone...will the white blemishes go (the rest of my skin is still tanned) or will I only know it has gone when I sunbathe again and see if those white areas go brown??? I never had itching with this infection just the unsightly patches.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 3 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

The fungal infection itself is usually eradicated by the measures that you have taken. I would go ahead and complete the four weeks of the topical treatment.

Anthony Bray MD :

It sounds that you have had tinea versicolor. The discolored patches will take longer to clear up than the infection itself.

Anthony Bray MD :

You should seee gradual normalization of the skin over the next couple of months. If you fail to see improvement of should have a recurrence of symptoms (itching , peeling, skin discoloratrion) then follow up with your doctor.

Anthony Bray MD :

Make sure that you have changed your bedding along with your treatment.

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this information helps. If you have further questions then let me know and I will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards

Customer :

Thanks for this. Just wanted to know since I am returning to California and some sun for the whole of February, will the discolouration go with tanning and will I go back to a tan all over without the marks? And is it ok to do the treatment once a day rather than twice?

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes your skin should normalize with time. Since you are this far into the treatent if you did just once that should be adequate.

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions. Take care!

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice