Dr PG M.D.
Dr PG M.D., Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MS
9208484

I have a lump the size of a pea growing in the palm of my hand

I have a lump the size of a pea growing in the palm of my hand close to base of my thumb. It appears to be growing quickly. The lump is not painful but hard
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr PG M.D. replied 3 years ago.

Dr PG M.D. :

Dr PG M.D. :

The most likely cause for the same maybe a ganglion cyst

Dr PG M.D. :

These are benign sacs of gelatinous fluid that form off of a joint or tendon sheath. They are seen frequently in the wrist but can also occur around finger joints. They form when a portion of the joint capsule or tendon sheath starts ballooning out and becomes filled with the fluid that lubricates the joint or tendon.

Dr PG M.D. :

Another possibility is giant cell tumor of tendon sheath. Unlike the fluid-filled ganglion cyst, these tumors are solid masses. They can occur anywhere there is a nearby tendon sheath. They are benign, slow-growing masses that spread through the soft tissue underneath the skin, the good news is that these are benign and not cancerous

Dr PG M.D. :

Other types of cysts, fibroma, contractures etc. can all cause the symptoms that you are describing.

Dr PG M.D. :

The good news is that most of these conditions are not very serious and cancer is extremely rare in this situation

Dr PG M.D. :

You would however need to be evaluated by an orthopedician/ hand surgeon to confirm the exact diagnosis so that appropriate treatment can be started,

Dr PG M.D. :

Please remember to press the GREEN accept button so that the transaction is completed

Dr PG M.D. :

Do remember to get back for any clarification

Dr PG M.D., Doctor
Experience: MBBS, MD, MS