Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

Why does my back hurt when I stand up straight and look down

Why does my back hurt when I stand up straight and look down? Mid-back pain. Pinched nerve?

Dr. Shah :

Hello, Welcome to Just answer! I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello. what information would you like?
Now we are in Q/A format, use reply option for communication.

How long are you having this pain? Any shooting pain or radiating pain? Any difference with daily activities and bending? Any recent fall/injury?How severe is your pain in 1 to 10 scale? Have you been investigated for it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how long - about a week
shooting, radiating - no (pain chart: about a 2-3/10)
difference w/daily activities - looking down w/a straight back hurts, so i try to bend at waist instead
recent fall/injury - no, but i have restarted working out with free weights. also, i run, bike, and swim a fair amount
no investigation for pain
Thank you for the information. Based on your description, it looks like you have started a lot of activities recently which certainly put pressure on your back. I don't think that it is a pinched nerve rather I would think about a musculoskeletal pain which can present like this. I suggest you to take pain meds oral/local, use heating pad, and take rest for a while. If your problem persist for longer duration, you can visit your primary care doctor for routine evaluation and x ray spine.

Press "ACCEPT" button if my answer was useful to you. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question.
Thank you for visiting just answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my uneducated guess would be possible strain to "erector spinae" muscle - if that makes sense. literally, the pain/discomfort only happens when I keep my back straight, and bend my neck forward.
i'm just worried about when musculoskeltal pain (which I can live with) could be mistaken with a pinched nerve/herniated disc (which I guess should not).
this is my last follow-up question: i'll accept after this. thank you.
Even in the case of mild pinched nerve and herniated disc, treatments are conservative and a lot of people are symptoms free with these non surgical measures and medications. Even though a person with pinched nerve and herniated disc may have pain after such neck movements, but they also have other key symptoms such as shooting pain, muscular weakness, numbness etc. In the absence of all these features, muskuloskeletal pain is quite possible. If you can make it, then a x ray can be done to pin point the cause.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you.
You are welcome!
Thank you for visiting just answer.