Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience:  Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist
8591189

Ive just been told my MRI showed chronic ischemic changes

I've just been told my MRI showed chronic ischemic changes in my brain. What could this mean? I am having a carotid dopplet this week and will see a neurologist soon but of course I am concerned and have many questions. It will be a while before I can talk to anyone about this so please give me some info.

Thanks
B. Ailey

Welcome to JustAnswer, It will be a pleasure to try and help with your concerns.

Small chronic ischaemic changes in the brain are caused by a gradual decrease in blood supply to the brain that occurs with age. These occur because of a narrowing of the small arteries in the brain ( age related ).

Having the carotid Doppler would let you know if there is any narrowing of the large arteries that supply the brain and of any methods to improve blood supply like stenting of the carotid arteries would help.

I hope this helps you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If the carotid arteries are not the problem, would there be any other reason besides age that would cause this and any other possible solutions?

Would this problem lead to dementia or Alzheimers?

Some degree of these changes are seen in all people nearing 60 years of age and is caused by the normal aging process.

You need to have the carotid Doppler test and then judge if this is an age related phenomenon or from blocked carotids.