Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

Nose Started To Bleed Suddenly Without Reason.

My nose started bleeding suddenly, just the right side earlier this evening. It was about 6 hours ago and again just now while lying in bed. It is bright red blood and bleeding quite a lot.

I am 50 years old, female and have had no injuries whatsoever. I don't even have fingernails! I have not had a nose bleed since I was a young child.

What could be causing this and should I be worried?

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.

How is your blood pressure?

Are you on any medication?

Do you have any other significant past illness?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My BP has been high in the past approx. 170/130.
I am on no medicine right now but do take a lot of OTC vitamins.

I also just started the HCH Homeopathic sub-lingual drops and this is the fourth day so the first day of a very low calorie diet (500 calories).

Are you familiar with the HCG diet?

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.

There are several causes of bleeding from nose like cold, allergy, irritation, foreign body, respiratory infection, polyp, growth etc. I am not familiar with HCG diet or whether it can cause it. High blood pressure may also lead to nasal bleeding.

When your blood pressure was high before and you are not taking any medicine for it, it may be a factor here. Blood pressure should be checked. If the bleeding has not yet stopped, gently squeeze the soft part of the nose for about 10 minutes by sitting with leaning a bit forward so that you can breathe through mouth. This will prevent swallowing of blood too. You may put ice covered with a piece of cloth over the bridge of the nose which sometimes is helpful. If you cannot stop bleeding by this process or continue for more than 20 minutes, you need to go to ER to have a nasal pack to stop bleeding.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The bleeding has just stopped, so it bled for about 15 min.
How does having high BP relate to the nose bleed?
Also, I do not have insurance any longer so going to the hospital or a doctor is for only absolute life threatening emergencies now.

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.

Bleeding with high blood pressure can be related to vascular fragility from long-standing disease. If the bleeding repeats please follow the measures I mentioned earlier. However I think you need to check your blood pressure. You can check it in a free clinic in your area.