Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

can a brain tumor cause congestion and clogged ears as well

can a brain tumor cause congestion and clogged ears as well as a strange feeling in your head.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health.

Brain tumors do not cause congestion or clogged ears.

Signs of a brain tumor are head aches - pressure type head aches and also stroke like signs - sudden loss of function of a part of the body, numbness, or tingling or it could cause memory and other cognitive problems - all depending on the part of the brain that is effected. But again, a brain tumor does not cause mucous production.

Congestion and clogged ears are caused by inflammation which can be due to viruses and allergies.

If you have chronic congestion then there are medications as well as measures that you can take to relieve the problem. Humidifier (especially important in the cool months when drying heating systems are on inside) and decongestant or allergy medications can be helpful. Removing allergens is important if this is part of the problem. An air filter and making sure to launder the pillow case frequently (especially if there are pets in the house) can be helpful when this is a cause.

Please reply if you have questions related to this topic so that we may assist you until you are satisfied with your answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I also have dizziness with lightheadedness and that strange feeling in my head and it is worrying me. I did see my doctor and they did all the neuro tests and said I was fine. I do have constant post nasal drip even with taking flonase. I still worry. What do you think.
But dizziness and lightheadedness and a strange feeling in your head are not signs of a brain tumor.

I think you have a problem with worry and an inflammation of the inner ear which can cause light headedness and a strange feeling in your head.

I think you need to work to clear up the congestion. Flonase alone may not be enough and could actually contribute the strange sensations.

Your ears are connected to the sinuses by the way, via the eustacian tube. Post nasal drip is often a sign of allergies. Your inner ear functions in balance. If it is inflammed then it can cause lightheadedness and a 'strange sensation' in your head.

Instead of focusing on a brain tumor, which is not likely, focus on taking the measures needed to decrease the inflammation that is likely present in your inner ear.

If you still can't get your mind off the idea that you may have a brain tumor, then this is likely a sign that you have health anxiety, a type of anxiety disorder, or even obsessive compulsive disorder or traits (repetitive thoughts and worry).

Here are some articles that discuss things that you can do to decrease the inflammation:

http://life.gaiam.com/article/food-allergies-and-inflammation

http://life.gaiam.com/article/natural-remedies-sinusitis

http://life.gaiam.com/article/colds-and-flu-alternative-therapies

Again, if you cannot stop the 'idea' that you have a brain tumor, even though you have had tests that show it is not there, plus are being told that the signs you have are not those of a brain tumor, then you may need to see a therapist for anxiety/OCD. There are medications that can help, as well as cognitive exercises. I can give you information on techniques to stop obsessive worry if you are interested, as well.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Feel free to let me know of the techniques. Thank you.

If you seem to have more than usual stress in your life, which can increase the worry and anxiety, then stress relief exercises can help:

http://helpguide.org/topics/stress.htm

For anxiety and worry, then follow these links and they give you all sorts of things that you can do to help stop this (actually commmon) problem:

http://helpguide.org/topics/anxiety.htm

Feel free to write back if you have any questions or are not finding the information that you need.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just to go through everyting one more time, I also occasionally feel unsteady. I see flashes of light and spots out of the corner of my eye. I have floaters and those aren't it. I get a hazy feeling as well that annoys me. I sometimes feel achy and not very good. Most of the time I don't feel much like eating, especially when I go out. It is all now getting to me. I don't know what it all means.
If you end up reading some of the information that I provided you, the haziness, which is sometimes referred to as 'brain fog' can all be related to the allergies and inflammation of the inner ear, and certainly the unsteadiness is also usually related to inner ear problems in someone with your symtoms.

Flashes of light and spots could be pressure from looking sharply out of the corner of your eyes or from pressure on the optic nerve which is similar to what happens when there is a migraine, except it sounds as if you aren't having the 'full blown' migraine, but you could be close to it.

Chronic allergies or inflammation tires the immune system and can definatly result in feeling achy and 'not very good'. The achiness and not feelng good, and low appetite are also signs of depression, which is a physical as well as disorder of the brain. Having less of a desire to eat when going out points to an anxiety issue, possibly social anxiety. Depression and anxiety are very common together. My guess is that you have a combination of being 'run down' due to the allergy/sinus/inner ear issues and long term anxiety (which contributes to a physical depression).

Recommendations would be to make sure you are getting adequate rest and sleep, nutrition, adequate exercise (very important), learn the stress relief and anxiety relief exercises. Learn a program such as yoga or tai chi. If you are not a person that is able to start up a program of self help then seeing a therapist that can get you motivated, or a psychiatrist for medication to help you with the anxiety and depression would be recommended. You could see an ENT for the ear and sinus issues, but if you try the self help measures that I have mentioned, this might not be necessary and might provide you with longer term relief.

Importantly - regarding floaters - just must have this checked out. See an opthamologist for this as soon as possible. Although a small amt. may be normal - if this is something new or increasing, you definatly need to have your eyes evaluated.

Edited by Susan Ivy on 1/16/2011 at 6:38 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you and i will read and follow the info.
Thank you for recognizing my time by accepting twice. I do hope you start to find relief. Sometimes we have to learn some measures and techniques to help ourselves with our health - medication is not always the answer (I have been there myself), so I hope you will look into these recommendations, but if you ever need guidance or have more questions please feel free to ask. Also, please get your eyes checked if the floaters are a recent development that you have not mentioned to your doctors before.