Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

my friend is at her wits end with trying to figure out what

my friend is at her wits end with trying to figure out what to feed her husband he is supposed to be on the hemodialysis and the coumadin and the respiratory diet how does she work with the information she has it all seems to say different things
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, as you have discovered, there are many sources of information on diets for ONE particular condition, but there are few if any reliable sources of information on the web for dietary recommendations when someone has 2 or more conditions for which diet needs to be adjusted.

It would be both unwise and unethical for me or anyone to try to give specific dietary recommendation to someone with multiple medical problems without the opportunity to take a complete medical history and review his current (and past) medical tests.

I believe that the best approach in your situation is to ask his doctor to refer her to a registered dietitian who can develop a CUSTOMIZED dietary plan based on his medical conditions, and food allergies or preferences. Here is a link that could help her find one in her area.

His physicians may know about the dietitians in the area, and would likely have experience/knowledge about the particular skills or interests of local providers.

Edited by Family Physician on 1/15/2011 at 5:40 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what kinds of foods are good if you are on hemodialysis diet and are taking coumadin and have chf ?
You want to avoid high sodium (salt), high potassium foods and high phosphorous foods. Also, avoid "salt substitutes" since most contain potassium. Generally, people need to increase protein intake. Here is an excellent summary:

As for the Coumadin - foods that are high in Vitamin K can be eaten, HOWEVER, their intake should be relatively stable. Keep the amount of vitamin K in the diet consistent from day to day.