Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I have Humana PPO as primary insurance, Regular Medicare is

I have Humana PPO as primary insurance, Regular Medicare is secondary ( Not an HMO), and Florida Medicaid. I am a disabled dependent on my Fathers Humana PPO. Medicare and Medicaid are under my name only. I go out of state to New York for specialist and surgery. These doctors are out of network for Humana. They are all full participating Doctors in Medicare. They bill Humana. Humana pays max. allowable fee. I get balance billed for difference between max. allowable fee and doctor full bill plus deductables. Doctor bills Medicare and receives whatever they pay and still balance bill me the difference. My question is since they are full participating doctors in medicare shouldn't they have to abide by Medicare rules , and not be allowed to balance bill the total difference. I would really appreciate an answer to this question. If more information is needed just ask.
Category: Health
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 5 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Category Moderator on Just Answer.

Thanks for your question! This is not a request for more information and I apologize if this message caused you any confusion.

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. Most questions are responded to within the hour, but this can depend on different factors, including the difficulty of your question, how many questions are being posted by customers, whether or not this type of question can be answered in an on line forum and how many Experts are on the site at the time your question posts.

I will go ahead and try to find an Expert to assist you with your question and appreciate your patience. You will receive an email notification when an Expert replies to you, just as you did here. Unfortunately, I can not guarantee a time-frame for which yours will be answered and I apologize a head of time if the wait is longer than expected.

Please do not reply to this message unless you do not need further help. If that is the case, please let me know and I can assist you with that. When you reply, it locks out the question from the Experts and will slow down their response time to you. If they need more information, they will let you know.

Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also. :)

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

Expert:  Family Physician replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry for the delay in answering your question:

Generally, a physician who does not participate in YOUR state Medicaid program would be able to balance bill you for difference between the Medicare allowable amount and the Medicare payment (your deductible and 20% copayment).

If however, you meet certain income requirements (see QMB on this link), the provider would be prohibited from balance billing. - 2010-09-07

Your best options are to find a physician who is participating in Humana or one who is participating in your state Medicaid program. I would also suggest speaking with your state Medicaid program to get the specifics on your classification (QMB or not).
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years