Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

my father in law had by pass surgery and did not wake up for

my father in law had by pass surgery and did not wake up for 8 days so we suspect too much anesthesia. He now has been confused, bad short term memory and doesn't know where he is. Is there any treartment to reverse this damage to his brain?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am happy to help you today! Use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

I need you to clarify a few things for me. I want to make sure you are talking about cardiac or heart by pass surgery and not stomache. Also did he have a heart attack before the surgery? Was it an emergency surgery or scheduled? How long has it been since he had the surgery?

Thanks and I will await your response.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
triple heart by pass surgery and it was emergency. He was having chest pain and shortness of breathe when he went to ER. He had the surgery on 12/29.

Thanks for the additional information.

Here are a few of the reasons that memory loss, changes in behavior and confusion can occur in a case like your father's:

- Lack of oxygen such as during a heart attack.

- Sodium/Potassium imbalance as the body sustained a major surgery. It may take several weeks to restore normal balance due to fluid shifting and healing.

- New medications to help control blood pressure.

- Just simply having heart surgery can have a psychological impact on him. This is a known fact that they will experience more depression and anxiety because it is your heart that was not working properly and usually a close call to death.

I have worked with lots of patients after open heart surgery and this is not terribly uncommon. Most of the time it will resolve after 4-6 weeks. So he still has a lot of healing time yet. Keep encouraged about this. It is very hard to go thru as a patient and as the family.

Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.