Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

1. What are the five cardinal signs of an infection Explain

Customer Question

1. What are the five cardinal signs of an infection? Explain them.
2. Why is it important to lean about disease trends?
3. What roles do the World Health Organization (WHO) and Center for Disease Control (CDC) have in monitoring the national and world health?

These are more like a discussion question type of answer. Please answer each of these in detail because I am going to quote them in a paper I am working on. Something around like 100 words or so for each question would be sufficient.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health.

Here is the answer to your first question:

The 5 cardinal signs of infection are pain, redness, swelling (edema), increased temperature (warmth), and pus.

A more detailed description of infection:

Signs of local infection include pain and/or tenderness, increased temperature at the site, formation of pus, and redness. With local infections cellulitis can occur, which is a spread of the infection in the subcutaneous tissue evidenced by spreading edema (swelling), redness, and pain in the layers of skin. Along with pus or drainage there may be a foul odor (with any infection).

With a systemic infection there may be fever with aches, chills, and nausea and vomiting. Fever or increased body temperature is a mechanism of the immune system which kills some bacteria and viruses (important to be aware of so as not to immediately suppress a fever by giving antipyretics such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen - since you will be decreasing a function of the immune system that may allow for more rapid recovery from the infection)

Warning signs that may occur when a local infection is beginning to spread systemically includes lymphangetis/lymphadenitis (inflammation of lymph nodes and vessels). Besides the swelling of lymph nodes, there may be red streaking away from the wound (caused by inflammation along the lymph vessels). Although lymph nodes and vessels normally carry white blood cells (WBCs) called marcrophages and lymphocytes to fight the infection, in certain cases of severe infection or lowered immunity, the lymph vessels may provide a conduit for infection to the blood stream and result in septicemia which if not treated with antibiotics may cause life-threatening contamination of organs of the body.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
are you going to answer the other questions? I can't just accept 1 question answered. That would be to expensive and alot of reposting. I hope you understand
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.
I will opt out of your question.

(Edited by Moderator)

Edited by Maria-Moderator on 1/5/2011 at 10:57 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Im not looking for really indepth answers. Mostly just touch base answers and views on them