Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

does the fast acting metoprolol make you tired because it drops

does the fast acting metoprolol make you tired because it drops your blood pressure to low?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 3 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Customer :

hello

Anthony Bray MD :

Metoprolol can cause fatigue as a fairly common side effect. It lowers the blood pressure but also slows the heart rate. Many people are not bothered by fatigue but certainly some are.

Customer :

i just had my doctor change to extented release will that help

Anthony Bray MD :

Perhaps. You may also benefit to keep check of your resting blood pressure. The average of a dozen or more numbers is more helpful than just a couple of readings. You should check BP while seated and after five minutes rest for an accurate reading.

Customer :

december was my 3rd month on it thats when it got to b to tiresome

Customer :

i would do anything to get off it

Anthony Bray MD :

The time course does not seem to fit well. This makes me wonder if some other reason may be at play for your fatigue. It may certainly be an option for your doctor to try a different class of BP med and see if you feel better.

Customer :

why didnt he sugest that

Customer :

hes a cardio

Customer :

maybe i dont need it

Anthony Bray MD :

I don't know. There are many options to treat high blood pressure. A beta blocker does have some added benefits to the heart such as reducing the risk of abnormal rhtythms and reduction of the risk of death should you have a heart attack. I can certainly see a cardiologist likeling the beta blocker class. An A2 blocker is low in side effects and may be better tolerated.

Customer :

i know i cant live with this i dont think i need the crap

Anthony Bray MD :

If your blood pressure were too high then this can also cause fatigue, poor exercise tolerence and shortnes of breath by the way.

Anthony Bray MD :

What does your BP run?

Customer :

i did have heart attack sept 29th ive been doin martial arts for 15 years i hardly think yhays prob

Customer :

been runnin 117 over 72 im 56 since the meds

Anthony Bray MD :

I think the heart attack makes more sense as the reason for your fatigue. The beta blocker in this setting makes perfect sense as it reduces the risk of sudden death after a heart attack.

Anthony Bray MD :

You might ask about Coreg. This is an alpha/beta blocker. This may be better tolerated by you. It has a very good benefit in reducing risk with regard to heart failure.

Customer :

i can walk 3 miles without breathing hard heart rate stays perfect

Anthony Bray MD :

Well that is encouraging!

Customer :

i had very small blockage

Anthony Bray MD :

Your echo results look pretty good?

Customer :

yeah i watched them live heart beat like a bird chirppin doc says i can exersise without limataions

Customer :

??????

Customer :

i did stress test with boots on no problem

Anthony Bray MD :

Well it sounds pretty good.I would repeat to keep track of your BP readings as these will go up and down. It might be that your dose needs to be adjusted or you might need a different class of medication.

Customer :

cool thanks

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice