Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

fluid consistantly leaking from ear

fluid consistantly leaking from ear

Your symptoms are likely due to;

1) Otitis externa; outer ear infection

2) Otitis media; middle ear infection

Otitis media is defined by the presence of infected fluid in the middle ear cavity; it must be distinguished from otitis media with effusion, which is defined by the presence of uninfected fluid in the middle ear cavity. The key to distinguishing between both is the performance of pneumatic otoscopy using appropriate tools and an adequate light source by the ENT specialist. Usually the treatment is oral antibiotic with anti-histaminics (anti allergy medications).

External otitis refers to inflammation of the external auditory canal or auricle (pinna).
Excessive cleaning or aggressive scratching of the ear canal not only removes cerumen (which is our defense of the ear canal), but can also create abrasions in the thin ear canal skin, allowing organisms to gain access to deeper tissue. In addition, part of a cotton swab may become detached or a small piece of tissue paper may be left behind in the ear canal; these remnants can partially disintegrate and fester, causing a severe skin reaction and infection. Following is the treatment;

1) Thoroughly clean the ear canal (done by doctor); with direct vision through an otoscope using a cerumen wire loop or cotton swab to gently remove debris. The ear canal may be irrigated with a 1:1 dilution of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide. THE HOME CLEANING IS NOT EFFECTIVE AND MUST NOT BE TRIED.

2) Treat inflammation and infection; ANTIBIOTIC DROPS: ciprofloxacin and ofloxacin can be prescribed by your physician.

3) Control pain; nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents, like Ibuprofen.

4) Culture in severe or recalcitrant cases; with severe external otitis or in recurrence.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Already had this treatment at the University Hospital Cardiff. The sound from the left ear was ok for approx a week then the sound went completly. I know this as my hearing aid is approx two years old. The otomise does not help. I am awaiting an E.N.T appt to see a specialist but thought you may be able to help me further whilst i am suffering this dabilitating condition. The Right ear has retained some hearing but is constantly leaking fluid.

driving me nuts! The left ear was ok but after treatment lost hearing completely.

The key here is culture test, which will tell about the best antibiotic. That antibiotic should be able to take care of it. Picking up the right antibiotic should make your ear dry.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there anything else we can do to alleviate this problem whilst we are awaiting our appt at the University Hospital of Cardiff E.N.T dept? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Meanwhile you can do following.

1) Irrigation with diluted hydrogen peroxide; help clears the infection.

2) Motrin; it acts as anti-inflammatory action and helps in drying it out.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The infomation given to us we already knew about however the suggestion of what treatment we can use whilst awaiting our hospital appt was useful thank you.

You are very welcome.

The antibacterial / antibiotic (likely to be injectable) is likely to be the most effective treatment in your case.

It is privilege assisting you.

Good luck.

Dr. Arun