Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

About 6 years ago I started having very painful and long-lasting

Customer Question

About 6 years ago I started having very painful and long-lasting heartburn attacks.

After trying many things unsuccessfully, looks like Nexium totally took care of the problem.

However... I am concerned that now I am dependent on this prescription medication so much. It is probably destroying my liver, and is very expensive.

I'm 44 yo male.

Have NOT been officially diagnosed by gastroenterologist, but my general doctor thinks the condition is due to a bad valve (in layman terms.)

What is your opinion on the possible causes, as well as how can the condition be fixed soi I'd be OFF Nexium finally?

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.

Are you overweight? Do you take tea, coffee, alcohol? What is your usual food? Is there any other symptom? Was any test done? Are you on any other medication? Is there any significant other past illness?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Weight: 200Lbs, I'm 5'10". Lately my weight dropped to 190Lbs (for the last 4 months I think.)

Food: I can't cook, so... cold cuts... eggs... occasionally ordering sushi and eating out (fish/some meat)....

I love bagels but had incredibly bad gas problem, which went away as soon as I dropped bread from my diet... so virtually no dough now at all....

Do drink green tea sometimes. No coffee except for caffeine in RockStart energy drink (I have low energy and need something to keep me up and running...)

Alcohol - infrequent and small portions of rum with juice (I don't like strong straight drinks.)

Other symptoms: I have generally irritable stomach... If I eat something unusual, most likely I'll have diarrhea about 30min later...

I have some allergy, taking Claritin. No other meds/issues currently.

Please help... I'm low income and the med care I get is not the best, XXXXX XXXXX is NO gastroenterology in the local med center at all...

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

This can be due to reflux as your doctor suggested. This may need to continue with acid lowering agents like ranitidine, nexium or other medicines which your doctor has already prescribed. But you can also take a simple tests for H pylori infection. Though endoscopy by gastroenterologist is more diagnostic but simple blood, breath or stool tests can help to diagnose it. If it is the case then treatment with a course of antibiotic can help to cure your problem.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Antibiotics: every time I take them (for different reasons), in about 2 days they literally destroy my stomach... meaning, I get persistent diarrhea no matter what I eat, until I get off the antibiotics...

If tests show that I do have that H pilory infection, how will I treat it if I have such reaction to antibiotics??

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
Different antibiotics along with other medicines are used in H.pylori infection.Pepto bismol, lactobacillus can be used which can reduce diarrheal episodes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Many thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Forgot to ask... I'm taking Fish oil in capsules, do you think it is good or bad for my stomach in my condition? Thanks...
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
Fish oil can cause heart burn, nausea. You can take it off for a few days to see whether your symptoms improve or not. Or you can take it with meal. This can reduce the side effects.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Actually I never feel any heartburn/nausea from this fish oil... Mine is Omega-3 Fish Oil by Natrol, 1000mg per softgel capsule... Subjectively, I think it helps a bit, but who knows.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
As you are not feeling any problem with fish oil it may not be the problem. All persons do not have side effects from it. Still you can take it with meal.