Susan RN
Susan RN, Nurse
Experience:  RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical
19689124

My wife has been experiencing nausea and dihrrea on and off

Customer Question

My wife has been experiencing nausea and dihrrea on and off for several days. It seems to last 8-10 hours then gone for a few days before it returns. It also seems to happen only @ night when the docs office is closed. By morning she says she feels better and no need for an appointment. She had her last physical a month ago and al blood tests were normal. She has also had a dry cough for the last 2 weeks if that is even important. No fever or pain associated with the unpleasant events. Does this sound like something serious? I am certainly more concerned than she is.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 6 years ago.

Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

JACUSTOMER-2bte187n- :

are you there?

JACUSTOMER-2bte187n- :

internet was acting up last night and i was disconnected...sorry. if you get this...please reply. i will check back to see if you are on line later. best~

Expert:  Susan RN replied 6 years ago.
Hello jacustomer, I would be glad to help you find answers to your questions unless you would like to wait for Dr. B to return. Please let me know what you would like to do. THank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

if you have a chance...i have time now~

Expert:  Susan RN replied 6 years ago.

I would be glad to help you. I would like to ask a few questions so I can get a better overall view of your wife's health and wellness if that is okay.What medical conditions does she have?

What medicines including over the counter, prescription, and herbs does she take?

I will await your response. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no medical conditions. she takes the same prenatal vitamens that she took while pregnant and a couple other supplements that she has take for a very long time. nothing new that would cause an abrubt change. i think it is odd that it is coming and going...with several days in between.
Expert:  Susan RN replied 6 years ago.

THank you for the information. I know there has been a stomach virus that has been going around quite a bit and with the holidays, people have been getting it more than once with a day or so in between. With the cough, does your wife have any sinus drainage or feeling of fullness in her sinuses or face?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

she has had a cough for a couple of weeks. dry but bothersom. i know she is not pregnant as she had her tubes tied 6 months ago. can a virus stay with you and cause these symptoms days apart while feeling fine in between?

Expert:  Susan RN replied 6 years ago.

Sometimes it may. I realize that she has had a tubal done 6 months ago, but has she had a period recently?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no~ another good question. she has not had one since she got pregnant. is that normal as well and/or a possible cause?

Expert:  Susan RN replied 6 years ago.

When did she deliver her last pregnancy or is she pregnant now? Is she breastfeeding or bottle feeding?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
our son was born on June 23rd...and i dont think it is possible for her to be pregnant with the tubes tied. she is breastfeeding~
Expert:  Susan RN replied 6 years ago.

The breastfeeding may cause her periods to stop while she is breastfeeding. When they tie your tubes, they send a piece of each tube to the lab to be analyzed to be sure it is part of the tube and not part of a muscle in that area. I am assuming since the doctor did not call shortly after the procedure, they removed part of each tube when they did the surgery.

Did they do a pregnancy test before they did the procedure to tie the tubes or did they do it after she delivered?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
they did it after she delivered. does any of this explain the nausea and diarehha from coming and going with days of feeling 100% in between?
Expert:  Susan RN replied 6 years ago.

Well, at first I was thinking she could be pregnant, but since she had the procedure done right after delivery,that is highly unlikely. Besides the flu that has been going around, other things that can cause her symptoms could be stress, hormones, flu, or inner ear issues. Since she is not in distress, it is most likely nothing serious; however if she starts losing weight or is unable to keep food and fluids down, then she may want to call the doctors office. Sometimes stomach issues can cause this but usually have some pain with it. I worry about her being able to stay hydrated well since she is breastfeeding. She may want to see if there is a pattern such as is there something she is eating or drinking prior to getting sick. Can she connect the timing of eating or taking her vitamins to the timing of the vomiting and diarrhea? If she runs a fever or has pain with it, please contact the doctor as soon as possible. I wish I had a way to give you an exact reason for her symptoms but without physically examining her and running tests, it is not possible at this time in this forum.

Congratulations on your new arrival. Have a happy new year and please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you today. THank you for allowing me to help you.

Susan RN, Nurse
Experience: RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical