Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

Hi again. I am 16 weeks pregnant and today have been having

Hi again. I am 16 weeks pregnant and today have been having cramps. They are not severe, but im nervous because I thought after the 1st trimester there shouldn't be anymore cramps? They are definitely not nearly as strong as they were in the first trimester but I have been noticing them today and its definnitely coming from something involving the uterus, could my uterus be having a growth spurt at this time or should I worry????? Does round ligament crampig feel similar to regular uterus cramping? I also have a bachache after hours of standing and cooking for a party, I hope that is also normal?? I have axiety and am very nervous. My appointmet is o the way this is my second. pregnancy. Had daughter 2 years ago and I heard from someoe that the second ca have more cramping from more relaxin???
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Hello Ashley - how have you been?
Happy New year by the way,,,
This could be Round ligament pain - but this is a bit early for this.
If I remember correctly you had a full term delivery previously.
And, this could be a urinary tract infection.
This could be the standing that you have done.
But, unlikely this is too serious, but I would not have intercourse until this is evaluated at least with a pelvic exam, an urinanalysis, and if you previous child was not born full term, then I would check your cervical length too.
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well my child was full term and they have said that my cervix is nice and long....also, the cramps i had yesterday are not here today...and when i got the first round of them yesterday, it was after i had walked 2 miles and forgot to have fluids and barely any breakfast. could that have had to do with it?? i have not had any today, could it have just been a stretching uterus or from exhaustion??? they were mild...???? is it not normal to have ANY mild cramps in 2nd tri???
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Dehyration sounds like what you had.
And, you need to make sure you are very well hydrated at ALL times.
And, since you are okay today, then you are okay to wait for your appointment on Thursday.
I hope this reassures you, have a wonderful night.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you!!      okay so lastly just to get this straight, CAN it be normal if in a few days i get mild cramps again???    doesnt the uterus still stretch??
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Absolutely normal to have cramps occassionally - and yes, the uterus stretches a lot during pregnancy.
Take care and please click on ACCEPT, thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you happy new year!!