Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

We have had a stomach virus going around with cramping in the

We have had a stomach virus going around with cramping in the lower and upper abdomen area. I had it first and it lasted about a week and the pain came and went, seems to be worse a few hours after eating. Felt bloated and had constipation but never ran a fever or was nauseous. My seven year old now has it and he is complaining of the pain. Is there anything we can do to help relieve the pain and allow him to sleep?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Greetings.

Has he bloating, diarrhea, gas, nausea/vomiting, fever, tenderness on abdomen?

Where on abdomen is pain exactly located?

How severe is pain on the scale of 0-10 (or mild, moderate or severe)?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No fever or vomiting. He feels bloated and feels like he has to go to the bathroom but seems constipated. The pain is enoughto make him curl up but it comes and goes. He just took some childrens tylenol to help with the paoin and it seems to be helpoing along with the hot compress.

Children Tylenol and warm compresses are safest and best for the pain relief. This is likely to be the viral infection of the intestine with the colicky nature of pain (off and on pain with intermittent duration of no pain). But in his age group, the most important thing to rule out would be acute appendicitis which comes with the exactly same manifestations. A tenderness in right lower abdomen is a typical sign. You may confirm that by pressing on the right side of the lower abdomen. If it is present, a visit to either ER or an urgent care clinic is advised. Tenderness on any area of abdomen, as a matter of fact warrants a visit to doctor with pain abdomen and bloating.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the advice. The only concern I have is the fact that there is no diahrea present with this virus. Everything I have read about a viral infection of the intestines has diahrea as one of the main symptioms and none of us have had that. It seesm to be just the opposite that we all have constipation. Is that a symptom of a virus that is going around now? Just wondering.

You are very welcome.

A full blown diarrhea may not be present but soft stool or recurrent sensation of passing motion or just small increased frequency of bowel motion can be the symptoms of viral intestinal infection, which can come in different manifestations. The warning signs for physical examination by a doctor would be moderate to severe pain, tenderness and significant bloating.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine