911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

My daughter was diagnosed with several blood clots in her lungs.

Customer Question

My daughter was diagnosed with several blood clots in her lungs. I am an RN but am confused how they center everything on the INR. I understand the blood thinning, but how do we know the clots are gone without any tests and only two days in the hospital. The ECHO is fine but am concerned that the clots in the lungs are not dissolved without treatment.
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 3 years ago.

911Doctor :

911Doctor :

It's a great question.

911Doctor :

Coumadin and heparin and lovenox treatment do not dissolve clots. Rather, they prevent extension and growth of the clots that are known to be there. They allow the body to process the clots and the clots are either taken care of by the body or are cannulated so blood flows through them. The reason sending her home is safe with a good INR is that the clots in her lung have done all the damage they will do... if we know, which we do now, that she is not going to form new clots and the current clots are not going to grow then it's safe for her to be home..

911Doctor :

the echo gives us firm knowledge, as well, that the clots in the lung are not putting an undue strain on the heart. she has been treated properly and well.

911Doctor :

and it's a great question...

Customer :

thank you so much. As I said previous, I am an RN but not privy to this. I have been so worried as I was not there to talk to her doctor and don't know what ifo to give to her. Am I right to relax a little as I am very concerned with PE? She is only 31 years old.

911Doctor :

relax. it's bad to have a PE and figuring out why is important...

911Doctor :

i'm sure they checked her for common clotting disorders in the hospital...

911Doctor :

and vigilance will be required as she gets past this little blip on the radar for signs or symptoms of another clot...

911Doctor :

but many people have just one episode....

911Doctor :

hope this is true of your daughter.

Customer :

thank you so much. Even as a nurse, I have been so worried as I don't know the intricities. Sometimes knowing too much means not knowing enough which is bad!!

911Doctor :

you are doing fine... best to you and your daughter.

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician